Wednesday, May 13, 2009

End of the long wait

I have been back over a week from my day trip in Seattle. It was a wonderful experience. Downtown Seattle is definitely a must-see. I hope to post some about the adventures in Pike Place Market and wandering the the area by foot and bus.

I am still digesting the actual purpose to the visit. I went there to see a prominent neurologist who specializes in weird cases of M.S. I have finally gotten a definite diagnosis. I have Multiple Sclerosis.I did a MRI of my neck and skull the day before I travelled. Even to my untrained eye I could see the new lesions in my brain. The first brain lesions since this process began.

The actual appointment went as had been par for course. The D.R. looks at the films, looks at me. Looks at the films and looks at me. I am really quite lucky. The size of the goo my spinal cord is allowing to take over is really, really large.

In a way I couldn't have planned it any better. My flight got in quite early and I could not check into my hotel until early afternoon. I had spent the morning navigating bus stops, searching for my destination, shopping and dreaming all on foot. By the time I got to my appointment I was really quite tired. Tired enough that I had become to get a bit clumsy and I was starting to stumble over my words.

In her words, " your exam is good, you look good. You definitely don't walk very normal, tho."
I've never been all that graceful, so I don't really notice it until I wear myself out.
That is exactly what I had done, and in this case it was useful.

I am still struggling with it all. I know that I should be happy that I have been spared so many physical problems (for now) and I am no longer waiting in limbo. I'm really kinda still pissed now.I know that this too shall pass, but it's where I am.

Thank you, my friends for your show of support! I promise pictures and adventure stories soon!


Trish said...

still keeping up with what's going on with you....and you remain in my prayers each day.
I'm glad you have a definite diagnosis - better than the unknown. What is there to be done? I hope the doctor had some potential treatments in mind too..

jojo said...

Thank you Trish. The neurologist did want me to start another round of medication via injection. I am not so excited about any of this, but I did agree to give it a shot. If it doesn't work or I can't handle the symptoms... we tried. thanks for keeping up!

Tara R. said...

It's good to finally have the definitive diagnosis. I hope now that yo can move forward and find the treatment that works best for you.

Kathleen said...

It makes such a huge difference to have a diagnosis.

I know I felt sane again when I finally went to the pain clinic....even if the treatments do not work it does something to the psyche to know the prospective outcome...

Thinking and praying for you...please let us know how the injections go.